How to adhere a concrete garden feature
Concrete water features generally last many years before developing small cracks, crumbles or figurines that release from the base. Cement repair is easily accomplished by the do-it-yourself homeowner in short time and with little expense. After the repairs are made, you can re-seal your entire fountain with a clear sealant or paint it to create a garden focal point that appears new.
- Cleaning surface with a light sand, grit blasting, and/or scabbling to remove all loose material, contaminants such as oil, grease, corrosion products or any other deleterious materials.
- All repairs to be cut back to a minimum of 5mm to a sawn edge. Minimum application of epidermix 319 is 5mm.
- The base component should then be folded over the hardener and the whole material kneaded until the resultant mortar has an even consistency and uniform colour.
- Do not add water to the mixed mortar. Mixing takes at least five minutes as all lumps must be broken down and an evenly wetted mortar obtained.
- Coverage: 1 litre/m2/1mm thickness.
- epidermix 319 must be applied with a wood float. Smooth finish can be achieved using a wetted steel float.
- epidermix 319should not be used in overhead locations.
- epidermix 319 can be applied in a single layer up to 50mm thick horizontally and up to 12mm thick vertically.
GOOD TO KNOW:
- Do not split the kit – use as supplied.
- Do not expose to moving water during application.
- Do not use at temperatures below 5°C or above 35°C
- Use the tape and secure the broken pieces together.
- Allow to dry and remove tape.
- super laycryl or hydroproof can be used as a coat. Both products have excellent weathering properties, adhesion and is tough, flexible and non-toxic and it comes in a wide range of colours.
- First coat – Brush on a fairly thick coat of super laycryl (1 litre/m2).
- Second coat – Once the ﬁrst coat has dried sufﬁciently to take working trafﬁc (2 – 3 hours depending upon weather) apply a second coat of super laycryl (0.5 litre/m2).
- Third and final coat can be applied when the second coat is dry at right angles of the second coat (0.5 litre/m2).