How to waterproof a fish or koi pond
A concrete fish/koi pond adds interest to the landscape by providing habitat for these colourful fish. However, concrete is a porous surface and can eventually leach lime and other chemicals into your pond or loose water through cracks. Therefore, you need to seal the pond with a waterproofing compound like super laykold, a rubberised bitumen emulsion that can be reinforced with abe® membrane to provide a seamless professional waterproofing system. It is also non-toxic and koi/fish friendly.
Equipment to prepare the surface
Container to mix prime coat
Paint brushes to apply the product
Roller to embed the membrane
Scissors to cut the membrane
Gloves and old clothes
super laykold – 1 L, 5 L and 20 L containers
abe membrane – 200 or 250 mm wide
abe super brush cleaner – 1 L, 5 L and 25 L containers
GOOD TO KNOW:
- super laykold is water based, so dries fairly quick. The wet material looks dark brown but dries black.
- When used for a pond, allow to dry for minimum 14 days. Flush with clean water before filling completely. Let the water and product stand for a day or two before adding fish.
- All surfaces to be clean, dry, sound, free from all laitance, fungal growth, grease, oil or loose and flaking particles.
ALL SURFACES (EXCEPT METAL)
- Mix 1 part super laykold with 1 part clean water and prime the total area to be covered. As a guide 0.25 L of diluted primer will cover 1 m².
- Allow to dry.
- Stir well before use
- Brush or roll on a fairly thick coat (0.75L/m²) and embed abe® membrane well into the wet coating.
- On flat surfaces, it is recommended to use a fluted aluminium roller for this purpose.
- Membrane overlaps should be a minimum of 100 mm on end laps and 75 mm on side laps.
- Not required to apply membrane everywhere, but essential over cracks, gaps and right angles.
- When the first coat has dried sufficiently (2 – 3 hours), apply a second coat of super laykold (0.75 L/m²) to ensure the membrane is completely saturated and allow to dry. To ensure saturation, apply the second coat in the other direction to the first coat.
- Apply a final coat of super laykold (0.6 L/m²) to give a smooth finish.
- 2.1 L/m² full system
- Tools, brushes and mixing equipment should be cleaned immediately after use and before material has set with abe® super brush cleaner.
- Wash with soap and water.